Wednesday, November 15, 2006

New Experiences

So this is my first attempt in a while to try to "blog". I don't usually have interesting things to say, but it as my sister-in-law Christy pointed out, it will help me keep up with family and friends as Paul and I figure life out here in Atlanta.

EEK there is a major southern thunderstorm going on right now! Paul is working a very long day. I love thunder, but never really enjoyed it by myself. Anyway onto blogging..

Mommy/Baby Update:
Up until now I pretty much trusted by body. It gets mad when I push it too hard, it tells me when I am sleepy, and I am well aware of its physiological functioning and am in quite awe of it. However, pregnancy is temporarily changing this. While now I am in awe of that little tiny body growing in me, I am somewhat doubtful that my body knows what its doing. Is being horribly nauseous REALLY conducive to growing a baby? I don't think so. Come on body, you need FOOD to grow a baby. I have been losing weight so far, not good, but fortunately I have some organic insurance around my hips and other areas, so I should be fine. Now the sleepiness I understand, the body needs to work harder to help grow this little life, but the nausea- nope don't see a purpose.

In more exciting baby news, Paul and I have almost conclusively decided on names. If its a girl, her name will be Magdalena (Maggie for short). For a boy we were debating some early church fathers names like Augustine, Ambrose, Athanasius etc. But I decided I wasn't bold enough. So we are going with Obadiah for a boy (Obie for short) which means "servant of Yahweh" or Tobias which means "goodness of the Lord. My motherly intuition thinks its a boy (my mom was able to predict all three kids). Hey, I have a 50% chance of being right. Well, 50.05 or so considering the gender ratio. Either would be a lot of fun!

Atlanta Life:
So what's it like living in Atlanta? Well I am not sure yet. I have spent half the time here home bound, and the other half setting up home. It looks exciting though... The most conclusive thing I can say is that trees changing colors are really pretty. Decatur, the city we live in, is right outside Atlanta, and being slightly less urbanized, is full of big, tall beautiful trees that are now red, orange, yellow...and making a mess everywhere. Decatur is pretty trendy, lots of different ethnic groups and restaurants and shopping areas. My favorite part is what is called the "Dekalb International Farmer's Market". Its this huge warehouse building with tons of fresh produce for great prices from all over the world. I even found real yams (white yams), the kind used to make fufu in Ghana! Visits there are lots of fun (though I don't go shopping much anymore as I currently cannot cook). Paul and I are hoping to go camping in either the Blue Mountains or on the coast (since there may be some semblance of surfing there).

Here is a list of things I hope to do while living here:

-Go to Savannah, GA- supposed to be beautiful and fun historically
-Camp in Appalachians, hike part of the trail
-Find an awesome southern food restaurant
-Go to Charleston
-Visit the Carolinas- supposed to have pretty beaches and beautiful forests
-Get involved in a ministry- this will be the longest I have stayed in one place in a while!
-Go to the Museum of High Art


Ok so this is kind of a lot, and is budget-dependent, but we'll see!

Well, I have several assignments due this week, and I am rather unmotivated. Time to get going on them!

2 comments:

Audlife said...

Thanks for blogging - I just might set one up myself so that you and Christy aren't carrying the family blogging torch just between the 2 of you. I already learned more about you - Les Mis, Amelie, fufu, medical data rattling capabilities... I'll check back as often as active Laura allows.
Love, Audrey

Christy said...

Yay! So excited to see your blog! I, too, have learned more about you (including "Les Mis" - one of my faves)!

Your goals for living in Atlanta sound great - just remember that you can make things happen on a very tight budget. And we don't always FEEL like going for our goals (especially when pregnant or a new mama), but we should still go for it. Charlie is very good at this, I am still learning.

Also, you have a lot of "new" things in front of you. You are doing great!

I'll be checking back regularly.