Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Long time, no write

Oh dear its been a while since I posted anything. I have been in shock from the beginning of school and trying to keep track of eight different classes and my part time job. On top of that Paul and I have been sick so things have been a little crazy. I am excited about my classes though, and get to learn lots of new exciting things and get lots of hands on experience. Here is a little peak into my semester...

-Principles of Instruction/Curriculum Design
-Measurment in the Behavioral/Health Sciences
-Applied Behavioral Methods (basically a class learning a statistical analysis program, luckily I learned it in undergrad)
-Spanish for Healthcare Professionals
-Prevention of Mental/Behavioral Illness and Mental Health Promotion
-Intro to Epidemiology (Epi for non-epi people)
-Intro to the US Healthcare System (another required core class)
-Community Needs Assessment

Its probably way too much, but I would rather get a lot of units done before the baby comes. Then I should only have 3 or 4 classes left to take before I can graduate. I am really excited about being a stay at home mom when the baby comes, and I don't want to be in too many classes after that. But anyway I am excited about this semester. I may even get to design a curriculum for the SBC public health department as an assignment for a class, possibly with Avian Flu preparedness for county employees and doctors in the area.

So what will I do with all this school work? I really don't know at this point, or know if I will even use it in the next ten years. But when else would I do it? At the very least I would be really happy consulting part-time for non-profits in our area, even if it meant getting paid very little. Maybe I could help them conduct needs assesments and design health education curriculum? Or just help them evaluate their programs. I don't know, but I don't feel too stressed about it, if God wants me to use it, I will.

Baby News: Paul and I are getting really excited for next friday, Feb 9th! Our ultrasound is that day and we are really hoping we can find out the gender and start calling this baby a name besides "It". Hopefully baby isn't too shy. We also want to see the baby move around and see if he/she is healthy. I certainly feel the baby move around all the time now. It's such a pleasant feeling, too bad it can't stay so pleasant. Anyway I definitely can't wait until next friday!

Pregnant News: Feeling great. Going through massive transition into crazy-hungry woman. While I hadn't gained more than a couple pounds total, I think that will have changed at our next prenatal on Monday. I have mostly just grown around the waist. I think it grew 2 inches in 2 weeks which is nuts. It feels so stretched and Paul and I are in disbelief at its rapid growth. The rest of my body has not changed though, so my clothes no longer fit and maternity pants are annoyingly baggy. I would post a picture, but its from a week and a half ago and it just looks completely different. I am still getting exercise by walking to my shuttle, but I am definitely making up for it! Its also been freeezzinngg, so I feel like a bundled rolly poly walking outside in the morning. There may be ice storms tonight...

Anyway thats all for now. When I stop being embarassed about it, I will tell a really dorky story about going to the ER last week....

TO BE CONTINUED!

5 comments:

Christy said...

Wow! What a class load! I can't even imagine what they're all about, they sound very complex. I'm glad you already have a good basis, because if I tried to take them things would get crazy. God will show you exactly what he wants you to do with that education!

Can't wait for the ultra-sound! It is soo exciting to see your little baby on the screen.

Candace said...

Glad

Candace said...

Sorry about that little response. I haven't been able to post things in a while and just wanted to test it out before I wrote a reply that I would never be able to send.
Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you are well, and that your excited about that crazy class load. I sometimes feel like I am wasting my education being a stay at home mom, but then I think about how my babies won't be babies forever and eventually I will have some free time on my hands - maybe for a job even. It is never a waste and it is always good to have for the future.
We have been sick here too, but seem to be recovering. I'm excited to hear about your ultrasound. Seeing baby makes it all the more real. Take care, we miss you guys!
Candace

Kelli said...

I concur, what a class load! How wonderful it will be at the end of the semester to have so much work behind you and a little baby to love!

I just love your description of a bundled rolly poly. Too cute!

I look forward to knowing if we will have another niece...or perhaps a nephew!

Audlife said...

Lacey,
We are so excited to hear about your baby BOY!!! My mom said Paul sounded like he was going to jump out of his skin and you were giggling in the background. The excitement is still fresh in my memory from our little one, and that makes me even more thrilled for you three.
Thanks for updating us on your courses and life. I check back every couple weeks.
Laura is not as adavanced as Mr Logan Halsell - she walks along if you hold one of her hands. She talks a lot and loves to eat grapes and Snapea Crisps from Trader Joes.
I'm going to be representing Homemaking at St. Joe's Career Day. I'm so excited about it! Imagine all the possibilities of information and inspiration one could give on the topic. I didn't think that they'd want me to do it, but they took me up on my offer. THat gives me great hope for the appreciation of the art of homemaking. A degree (even a self-designed major in Chicano studies at a Vermont college) is important because if anything happened to John where we needed me to provide for the family, I'd be able to do so. A masters degree (which I lack), would make it that much easier. May God bless the remainder of your pregnancy, studies and time in Hot-lanta. Love, Audrey