Monday, May 21, 2007

Savannah Part II




























(See below for part one!)







Here are just some more examples of pretty architecture in the city! So gorgeous! All the buildings have such interesting histories too. For example, one restaurant overloooking the riverfront has a map drawn by General Sherman's army on the wall! It was discovered when they removed some coats ont he wall to remodel the building and is now preserved. I am not very good with history, but Savannah was the last city on General Sherman's march to the sea of devestation during the Civil War. However it was never called the Civil War once when we were there. Instead it was the "War Between the States" or the "War of Northern Aggression". How interesting! Speaking of food too, we had great Southern food all weekend. Fried Green Tomato BLT anyone? Shrimp, Greens and Grits? Deviled crab cakes? Pralines? Pecan Pie? So good! I was happy to have some healthier food back at home though.







Ok last few pictures. These are on the riverfront. And one picture of Paul and I. I am very round and pregnant looking now. Unfortunately round in the face too! :) It was a short trip, but a nice little vacation before we become full time parents! I feel lucky we got to travel some as we haven't visited too many places in Georgia yet.














4 comments:

Christy said...

I loved your posts! Savannah looks gorgeous. I'm glad you guys got to take a little trip. I particularly enjoyed your use of the word "unwieldy" in Savannah I. Not enough people use that word.

You look great! I wish we could be there to see the baby.

The posts remind me of Gone With The Wind. Have you read that? You should read it. A lot of it takes place in Atlanta, not Savannah, but in my western pacific mind, it seems similar. It was good to see a little update!

Charlie said...

Hi Sis!
I feel a bit awkward leaving this note on a predominantly all girls blog site. (Kind of like walking into a baby shower.) I will risk being poked fun at to let you know that I always enjoy getting updates from you. I wish it wasn't going to be so long before our families get to hang out. Do you think you and Paul could come over for just a few weeks before your little one arrives? I promise that Paul and I won't surf that much. OK - I thought I'd at least try.
Looking forward to more updates...
charlie

Candace said...

I want to visit the south even more now after seeing your pictures - aren't you at all tempted to stay and buy one of those great colonial homes(I'm sure they're cheap - ha, ha).
Hope you are doing well, we heard about your accident, but haven't recieved an update from Margie, so I'm assuming all is ok with you and baby.
Love baby website and can't wait to learn more about your little man. Keep us posted.

Candace

Christy said...

haven't heard about your accident. I'm gonna email you, too.