Thursday, August 2, 2007

Wife, Mom, Student....Exterminator?

So its cliche to say a mom takes on many roles, whether it be chef, house cleaner, chauffer or accountant. Exterminator, however, was one role I did not count on. I didn't realize how "bug-free" my Santa Maria home was until I lived in Georgia. Every week we are fighting a new bug I've never seen before! Apartments are never free from pests, but I didn't expect to deal with ginormous silverfish, ants, roaches, mosquitoes and spiders day in and day out. Yes the apartment complex comes if you ask them the help, but a once a week treatment really doesn't do that much. Right now the problem is millipedes. These tiny wormlike creatures currently are taking over our house. It probably doesn't help living right next to a mini-forest. Despite spraying bug poison around our kitchen, windows, door jamb, bathroom and other corners of the home, it is completely normal to find 15-20 millipedes crawling over our kitchen floor and living room in the morning, not to mention the dead ones. So I kill, I vaccuum and I search and destroy. Yuck!



So right now when people ask me what I'm up to everyday, my answer now is: I feed the baby, play with the baby, hopefully get dressed and decent, and I kill bugs.



And a cute picture for good measure. I am trying to catch him smiling, but I have been unsuccessful so far!



8 comments:

Lacey said...

Eww and crickets. Forgot about the crickets. Just found one...

Christy said...

Eeeew! I am so not in love with bugs. I think having a baby turns you into a warrior, because I have now done things I NEVER ever would have without a baby who lies on the ground or crawls around. "Don't THINK about getting near my baby, Bug!" I know I have killed wasps just by swatting them with my hand, and also fast spiders that I knew would get away if I timed out for a tissue. Never ever would have done that without a baby to protect.

Speaking of babies, your little guy looks "smiley" to me in that pic. And extra cute.

Lacey said...

Christy- wow bare-handed bug killing! I totally understand, I would normally avoid killing bugs if I can, but now I attack right away to keep them away from baby. I'm not really scared of bugs but the sheer number of them here grosses me out.
Yup I caught Caedmon at the end of the smile, but didn't get the full cheeky smile :)

Anonymous said...

That picture more than any other absolutely melted my heart!!!!!!! God is so kind - and what an artist, too!
Much love,
Audrey

Anonymous said...

Okay - I saw the picture before I read your post. Yuck!!! Roaches and millipedes seem to stand out above the crowd there. Yuck! Yuck!!! I guess you are living in "the dirty South" to quote some rapper. Yuck!! I can't get over it! Waking up to millipedes on my kitchen floor every morning. Yuck! Okay, I'm going to Christy's blog to get this out of my head. Y'all come back home to California soon, now, ya' hear!!
Audrey

Anonymous said...

Ewwww! I am not fond of bugs and I am not sure that I could rise to the occasion as you have. In the least, it would involve several calls a day to James to tell him just how many/gross bugs I had encountered. Ann Marie has a kid bug vacuum....do they make them for grown ups?

The carseat picture of Caedmon is sooo precious and it completely melted my heart. I am looking forward to meeting your little boy!

Love,

Kelli

Unknown said...

You need to get a cat! (This coming from the crazy cat lady.) Zoey runs "Buggy Patrol" with ruthless skill and intense work ethic.

Ahhhh, your baby is so cute. He's kind of grinning in that picture.

kayshin said...

whenever i feel tired or bored or unmotivated at work, i look at the baby pictures and smile :)

i can't wait to meet himmmm!